Friday, May 28, 2010

Identity.....

white, black, brown, yellow, down .. skinny,round.. profound or mundane... all the same who creates you? who defines you? so is the question of the night as me and my friend discussed "identity". What does that mean? is it in the color of your skin? is it the country that lays claim to the ancestry of your family? is it the music you listen to or the clothes you wear, how you rock the red lipstick or the big bamboo earrings? or the dark lined eyes that hide the fact that you don't know you but search to find you. Grunged out..sagged out swaying about to the rhythm of what plays on the next track that sets you back to childhood memories of that one "white" friend or that one "black" friend that is your immediate education of all the world around you, but little do you know. Little do you know that we are not given to the choice of skin we wear... nor the burden or blessing it it may bear... and to that is in the eye of the beholder to perceive what is "good" or 'bad". Conditioned ways lay hold of our fragile impressionable minds.... we regurgitate a pedagogy of I follow yous... and do what you do if you acknowledge that I am someone too. But it's not the color of your skin but the content of your character.. what registers to your soul.. what speaks to you? can you break the chains of prejudiced traditions? can you cross the boundaries of skin colored biases and class bound ropes around wrists of anxious bodies wanting to be free. Free of boxes that label sexuality belonging to you or me... but sexuality belongs to itself and requires fragile handling..for if abused it can be broken. Free of cultural jump ropes of i'm to light or I 'm too dark and i'm too skinny or i"m too fat to move and dance before audiences of wandering souls looking for the next best fix of their copy cat worlds and carboned copied imaginations that wish they were the ones that could be the spectacle of admiration. But instead they look at themselves and tuck you into a small box of forget-me-knots until they are ready to accept you for you in which you are never you.... but you are the white, black, brown, yellow, down .. skinny,round.. profound or mundane...and all the same you struggle to find your "identity".......

what about you? do you know who you are?

with soul,

artistic soul

2 comments:

  1. Excavating. Excavating. Looking deeper and deeper every moment. Just when I think I know.. Still there's more to release or more to process or more to gather.

    Your blog prompts me to think of situations, ideas, truths and lies, friends, family and coincidences and think, "Is this still true for me today?"

    Thank you sistar! Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going back through my blog posts and realizing I never saw these repsonses ha! so sorry. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I hope you keep coming back, I appreciate that this article created thought. We always want to be moved to grow, dig in and "excavate" as you say. We should be doing it on a constant. We are always changing and even must get used to all the ways in which we change and learn acceptance. It is challenging but important. It is important because we must constantly change with ourselves and keep learning to be comfortable in our own skin. I know that you are continually doing that!

    ReplyDelete